Webinars on Distance Learning (February 18, February 27 & March 20, 2020)
HETS will continue during this semester with the initiative discussed with the HETS Distance Learning Task Force to recognize Distance Learning professionals at HETS Member Institutions of developing targeted webinars to provide tools for their roles. Next webinar on the new topics will be offered free of charge on the following dates:
Webinar titled: Improving Student Success in Accelerated Course Offerings.
- March 20, 2020 at 11:00 am -12:00pm Central (CST) /12:00 pm (EST/ PR Time)
The presenter: Dr. David Pearse, from the Division of Accelerated Programs at University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- Brief description of the topic & registration: will be available soon.
Others webinars held were:
Webinar titled: The Hybrid Academy – A Professional Development for faculty teaching Hybrid Courses.
(Watch webinar recording here)
- February 27, 2020 at 11:30 am -12:30pm Central (CST) /12:30 pm (EST)/ 1:30 pm (PR Time).
The presenters: Jessica Handley and Roberto Rivera Instructional Designers from University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.
- Brief description of the topic: It is evident that the demand for online and hybrid courses continues to grow. According to the National Student Clearinghouse, more than 6million higher education students were enrolled in some type of distance education courses in the year 2017. As the demand for hybrid courses increases, senior leaders are focusing on the quality of hybrid delivery. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, as Hispanic Serving Institution, has developed and implemented Professional Development called Hybrid Academy that provides faculty with the knowledge, skills, and exposure to resources necessary to design, develop, and facilitate hybrid instruction. The professional development goes over national standardized best practices, current research, and instructional design principles. The Hybrid Academy Professional Development was created completely in UTRGV official learning management system, Blackboard. It consists of 7 Modules that are all required components of the Hybrid Academy. Each module contains lessons and assessments created in SoftChalk Lesson Builder, Faculty Videos for Micro-Lectures, Discussion Forums and Reflective online Blogs. Also, weekly live sessions are conducted using Blackboard Collaborate and Zoom web conferencing.
Webinar titled: UTRGV Blueprinting Process: Our quality assurance process for Online Programs.
(Watch webinar recording here)
- February 18, 2020 at 11:30 am -12:30pm Central (CST) / 12:30 pm (EST)/ 1:30 pm (PR Time).
The presenters: Josie Stoleson and Toni Saldivar Instructional Designers from University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.
- Brief description of the topic: To ensure consistency and quality in online programs, UTRGV faculty must participate in our blueprinting process. During the process, faculty go over our 6 module-13-week course in which they learn the concepts of designing a quality online course and learn strategies and best practices in online teaching. Upon completing of the session, participants will be able to learn the concepts of quality in the design of online programs, review Quality Matters Rubric, and review the components of the UTRGV Blueprinting Process.
These webinars were hosted by Dr. Carlos Morales, HETS Vice Chair and President of TCC Connect Campus, Tarrant County College. Again, this webinars are free of charge, you only need to register completing the form below:
To all those registered to participate, an email will be sent with the link to Bb Collaborate to connect to the webinars. Please, feel free to share this invitation to your peers that can also take advantage of this initiative. If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to contact us anytime.