Home | Call for Proposals and online submission | Schedule | Showcase Tracks | Registration | HETS Board Meeting |Academic Fair | Lodging/Hotel Reservations | Sponsors | Previous Best Practices Showcases
Celebrating Innovation in Access, Retention and Online Learning and Technology Integration to Promote Hispanic Student Success in Higher Education
This track targets innovative projects that focus on increasing Hispanics’ access to higher Education and Internationalization initiatives. The project is expected to have had success in demonstrating ways to facilitate Hispanics’ understanding and awareness about opportunities available to access and succeed in Higher Education. Some examples include:
- Hispanic-focused projects that use technology tools and resources to increase access to Higher Education, and increase student mobility
- Creative technology initiatives developed to help overcome Hispanics’ barriers to Higher Education and facilitate college entry.
- Best practices focused on inclusion strategies and facilitating broader access to disadvantaged populations, including the technology-assessment gap.
- Best practices that showcase positive aspects of diversity and multicultural life in your current campus environment.
- Best practices in addressing the internationalization of the curriculum for both, face-to-face and distance education
This track is intended to showcase innovative practices that strategically use technology to support, promote, and optimize the retention of Hispanic students in online courses. Also, encourage the effective development and implementation of assessment efforts through the innovative and strategic use of technology in Distance Learning. Some examples include:
- Projects that demonstrate how your institution adapt student support services to promote a higher level of motivation among students in the online environment
- Projects that demonstrate how your institutions manage/perform student assessment in distance education
- Best practices using technology to assess student’s performance in online environments, and its features and effectiveness
- Strategic use of technology to manage/deal/support student body diversity in distance education and cultural shock avoidance in the online environment
- Projects that demonstrate how your institution promote quality in the online environment
- Projects that demonstrated the usefulness of new technologies like mobile technology and social media, tablets, lecture capture, among others, to increase retention among Hispanics
- Best practices using technology to deal with student motivation and engagement in the online and face to face environments
- Implementation of technology-based remediation, counseling, tutoring, or mentoring services in English, Spanish or Bilingual
- Identify risk factors associated with the financial crisis, to develop online support services to help students overcome them
Online Learning and Technology Integration
This track is intended to showcase innovative practices that promote the use of instructional technologies to support, drive, and optimize online courses or programs, and encourage the effective development and design through the innovative and strategic uses of technology in Distance Learning. We seek presentations with one of the following topics:
- Projects that demonstrate how your institutions design and integrate mobile learning
- Projects that demonstrate how your institution manages/assure the integration of new technologies like tablets and smartphones, interactive tools for discussion used in classrooms and online, digital publication and learning experience, Cloud Services, design and delivery of online and hybrid programs or M learning
- Projects and\or project proposals for integrating virtual reality, augmented reality, and other advanced technologies focusing on demonstrations of how these are integrated into the curriculum and used.
- Projects that demonstrate how your institution address social and cultural diversity among students on virtual learning environments, with emphasis on immigrant Hispanic students, and providing for the acquisition and development of coping and adaptive strategies such as resiliency.
- Projects that demonstrate how virtual environments can adopt personalized approaches to learning online, adopt instructional design models, and teaching strategies to accommodate for social and cultural diversity.
- Projects that provide students with opportunities for hands-on, active learning experiences while adopting advanced technologies.
- Projects and initiatives on transforming the University by adopting the “entrepreneurial paradigm” mediated by technology innovations like “Hubs and Incubators.”
- Projects and initiatives for increasing access to higher education to populations from different countries through the implementation of alternative approaches such as Moocs.
- Current efforts and initiatives to adopt and implement artificial intelligence and other advanced technologies into the classroom.
- Projects using learning analytics as a source of students’ learning assessment processes, and assessment and development or existing or new virtual academic programs.