VIRTUAL HETS BEST PRACTICES SHOWCASE 2021- SHOWCASE TRACKS
Celebrating Innovation, Retention and Online Learning and Technology Integration to Promote Hispanic Student Success in Higher Education
February 4 to 12, 2021
The Virtual HETS Best Practices Showcase will focus on three main tracks: Innovation, Retention and Online Learning and Technology Integration Education in Higher Education.
This track is intended to showcase innovative practices that strategically use technology to promote or enhance regular programs or activities that have been adapted or transform into distance education offerings to serve students during the COVID-19 pandemic. Some examples include:
- Hispanic-focused projects that use technology tools and resources to increase access to Higher Education and increase student flexibility during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Best practices focused on inclusion strategies, and facilitating broader access to disadvantaged populations, including the technology-assessment gap.
- Best practices that showcase positive aspects of diversity in your current offerings and/or the new scenario due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Projects that demonstrate how the top leaders or administrators at your institution adapt their services and offerings to support and increase student retention during the COVID-19 pandemic
This track is intended to showcase innovative practices that strategically use technology to support, drive, and optimize retention of students in online courses, and promoting the effective development and implementation of assessment efforts through the innovative and strategic use of technology in Distance Learning. Some examples include:
- Initiatives to create, modify or enhance support services to promote a higher level of motivation among students in the online environment and/or the new scenario due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Projects that demonstrate how your institutions manage/perform student assessment in distance education
- Best practices using technology to assess student’s performance in online environments, and its features and effectiveness
- Strategic use of technology to manage/deal/support student body diversity in distance education and cultural shock avoidance in the online environment
- Projects that demonstrate the usefulness of new technologies like mobile technology and social media, tablets, lecture capture, podcasts, among others, to increase retention among Hispanics
- Best practices using technology to deal with student motivation and engagement in the online environments
- Implementation of technology-based remediation, counseling, tutoring, or mentoring services in English, Spanish or Bilingual
- Identify risk factors associated with financial crisis, to develop online support services to help students overcome them
Online Learning and Technology Integration
This track is intended to showcase innovative practices that strategically use technology to support, drive, and optimize courses or programs, and promoting the effective development and design through the innovative and strategic use of technology for online teaching and learning. We seek presentations with one of the following topics:
- Projects that demonstrate how your institution promotes quality in the online environment and its focus on closing the student learning deficit gap
- Projects that demonstrate how your institution trains faculty and administrators to design online courses and offer Distance Learning
- Projects that demonstrate how your institution manages/assures the integration of new technologies, such as tablets and smartphones, interactive tools for discussion used in classrooms and online, digital publication and learning experience, Cloud Services, design and delivery of online and hybrid programs, and Mobile Learning, focusing on demonstrations of technology usage.
- Projects that demonstrate how your institution address cultural diversity among students in virtual learning environments, with emphasis on immigrant Hispanic students, and providing for the acquisition and development of coping and adaptive strategies such as resiliency.
To learn more about the process to submit your proposal and download the Call for Proposals document, please visit: Call for Proposals