Carlos Albizu University
- United States of America
Country: United States of America
Phone: 787-725-6500 ext. 1520
What makes this institution unique
Why choose Carlos Albizu University?
1. A Strong Heritage: Founded in 1966, Albizu University is the first professional school of psychology established in North America and the Caribbean. The university is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; the clinical psychology programs are accredited by the American Psychological Association; and the Master of Science in Speech and Language Pathology program is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. The Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology program at AU’s San Juan campus received the Example of Excelencia award by Excelencia in Education in 2011, the only institution in Puerto Rico to be bestowed this honor.
2. Community Service: Under the supervision of licensed professionals at on-campus clinics and external sites, students training to become practitioners in the fields of psychology and speech/language therapy and pathology have provided no-charge or low-fee services to more than 20,000 individuals in the San Juan and South Florida areas.
3. Expert Faculty: Our courses are taught by professors who are both academics and active professionals. Faculty members bring to the classroom a working expertise in theories, research, and practice in their fields.
4. Small Classes: We know our students by name, and understand their needs and interests. Our faculty members are mentors who will help you pursue your career goals and inspire you to become actively engaged in classroom discussions and activities.
5. Convenience and Location: The San Juan campus is located in the center of Puerto Rico’s capital city and is surrounded by historic buildings, museums, restaurants, plazas, and a variety of businesses. The environment contributes to a lively and interesting student experience. Parking lots and other amenities are at a walking distance from the campus.
6. Diversity: At Albizu University, we welcome and respect diversity. Our programs are designed for students of all cultural and ethnic backgrounds and provide a rich exposure to culturally diverse populations through both academic training and applied experiences. Our university is ranked by the National Science Foundation among the top five U.S. universities in conferring doctoral degrees to Hispanics.
7. Academic Excellence: Albizu University offers bachelor’s degree programs in speech/language therapy (San Juan), education (Miami), criminal justice (Miami), and psychology (San Juan and Miami) designed to prepare students for careers in these fields. The master’s level programs in psychology (San Juan and Miami), education (Miami), and speech/language pathology (San Juan and Miami) and the doctoral programs in psychology (San Juan and Miami) and human services (Miami) provide excellent training that integrates theory and practice within a multicultural framework.
8. Affordability: More than 75% of our students qualify to receive financial aid in the form of grants, loans, or on-campus employment.
9. Practical Experience: Through our clinics in Miami and San Juan and our network of external practicum sites, Albizu University students apply the clinical skills acquired in their training to providing mental health and speech and language services to the local community. Program curricula are designed to provide practical experience for our graduate students beginning early in their training.
10. Flexibility: Albizu University offers morning, afternoon, evening, night, and weekend classes to provide you with the flexibility and convenience you need to meet all of life’s demands. Online classes and programs are also available.
Fact sheet or brochure
To learn more about Carlos Albizu University’s offerings click here
The Deanship of Students facilitates Student Orientation Online each semester. The online modules are available to distance learners and students who are unable to attend the campus based event.
Your Student Support on the process
To learn more about Carlos Albizu University and the opportunities available for you, feel free to contact the recruitment officers:
787-725-6500 ext. 1520
787-725-6500 ext. 2302
787-725-6500 ext. 7133
Are you interested in a personal student experience?
Course Observations: Prospective students are afforded the ability to sample a course by participating in a class visit. The program is facilitated by Recruitment Office and supported by the respective academic program. This immersive opportunity to observe academic life at the Albizu San Juan in the summer, fall, and spring semesters.
Tuition opportunities for students (to qualify for)
Request for information (RFI form)
In order to better serve you during this process, be prepared to provide the following information in the provided link